Annual Voyageur Rendezvous
- Grand Kankakee Marsh
- 18th Century Fur-Trade Era Reenactment - Check back in 2018 for next years dates!
- 10 a.m. to 4 p. m.
- Cost: $4 per person. Children 7 and younger free
About the Program
Peek into the lives of those who would have lived or traded along the waterways of the Midwest more than 250 years ago when the marshes were a source of valuable furs desired by merchant traders to take back to Europe. Meet Native Americans, French-Canadian canoe men, called Voyageurs, British and French militia, early settlers, and many others.
This is a family friendly event with lots of fun and interactive activities for the kids. Visit the Children’s Trading Post to find out more.
Event Highlights include:
- Arrival of Voyageurs by canoe
- Fashion Show
- Opening and Closing Ceremonies
- Tomahawk Throw
- Trade Session with the Native Americans
- Hot Food, Cold Sarsaparilla and more
For an event schedule, check back here in April.
Love a good challenge? Sign up for the Traveler's Challenge Race taking place on Saturday at 1 p.m. Visitors and reenactors will compete... but who will come out on top?
LCPRD Severe Weather Information
This is an outdoor program. Visitors need to be aware that weather conditions may change necessitating program adjustments. If weather conditions present a safety hazard it may be necessary to close the event. Refunds will not be issued.
Special School Invite to the Voyageur Rendezvous 18th Century Fur Trade Era
- Early Indiana History - 18th Century Fur Trade Era School / Group Tours
- Grand Kankakee Marsh County Park
- Check back in 2018 for next years dates! (advance reservation required; only date offered)
- Morning tour time slot: 9:30 to 11:30 a.m.
- Afternoon tour time slot: Noon to 2 p.m.
- Minimum (20 students); Maximum (140 students) per time slot
- $2 per person, including chaperones and teachers; $20 minimum
- Reservations and deposit required at least ten business days in advance
- Appropriate for 4th to 6th grade curriculum
Reserve your time slot now. Space is limited and is closed when filled. Call 219-769-7275, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
History books open wide and come to life as your students visit the 18th century. The Fur Trade Era is bustling with activity when you arrive. Your students will see how the French Voyageurs played an important role in early commerce and trade right here in Northwest Indiana. Native Americans traded furs while the Voyageurs, British, and French clashed over ownership of the land. There is plenty for students to see, hear and learn. They will feel like they just spent a day in the 18th century. You too, will enjoy jumping back into history! The tour is completely outside, so please remind your students to dress for the weather. Upon registration, teachers will be sent a confirmation packet, complete with pre or post activity sheets.