The Visitor Center and Wood's Historic Grist Mill open for season May 1 through October 31
Visitor Center and Wood's Historic Grist Mill Hours
- Buildings are open Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May through October
- Buildings are open Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday Noon to 5 p.m. May through October.
- Buildings are closed on Friday and holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Columbus Day)
- Park gates are open daily from 7 a.m. to sunset
- Access to Deep River County Park remains open daily year round from the historic area 7 a.m. until sunset.
- The County Line Road entrance and the Sulky Track are closed during the winter months.
Visitors to historic Wood's Grist Mill will see demonstrations of the corn-grinding process, learn how the mill was originally powered, and be able to purchase stone-ground cornmeal processed in the Mill daily. Admission to the Mill is by donation.
- First floor exhibits include quilts and artifacts from the Wood family.
- The second floor hosts a replica one-room school, a general store setting, and a typical bedroom of the 1800's.
- Displays in Wood's Mill Gallery on third floor where milling operations used to be housed are photographs May & June and paintings September & October.
Exhibit in Wood's Mill Gallery: Wood's Historic Grist Mill at Deep River County Park
- 10 a.m. - 3:45 Monday - Thursday
- 10 a.m. - 4:45 Saturday & Sunday
- May and June exhibit: Members of the Lake County Park's Photography Club proudly display their works during May and June. The exhibit, a favorite of visitors to Wood's Mill Gallery, may feature framed photos of landscapes, buildings, still life, travels around the world, local places of interest and people. Most are offered for sale.
- September and October exhibit: Deep River Artists exhibit original works of art in Wood's Mill Gallery during September and October. Come view their varied offerings. Many are for sale.
The Visitor Center, housed in a 1904 church building that was outgrown by its congregation, is now home to the gift shop, meeting room and information center. Here visitors may purchase Deep River's own pure maple syrup, Amish-made apple butter, ice-cold sarsaparilla, jams, jellies, condiments, cookbooks, toys, nature guides, paintings, photographs, pioneer bonnets and aprons, rag dolls and much more.
Season long exhibit in Visitor Center: Pioneers
Special Gift Shop Openings at Deep River County Park
Four to five different crafters will present their handmade items in the Gift Shop. Meet them, learn about their crafts and buy for gifts and for yourself.
Pre-season 2013 Craft Shows and Gift Shop Openings
Saturday & Sunday, February 2 & 3 from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Valentine crafts, one-of-a-kind items, jewelry, general gift shop merchandise.
Saturday & Sunday, April 6 & 7 from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Spring items, unique hand-made crafts, jewelry, general merchandise
For reservations and more information about the Lake County Parks Call 219-769-PARK
Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm Central Time (Chicago Time)
Lake County Parks and Recreation Department Corporate Office
8411 East Lincoln Highway, Crown Point, Indiana 46307
Just west of Deep River WaterparK 4.5 miles east of I-65 on Route 30