Groups at Buckley Homestead
learning from history
The Buckley Family first settled in Indiana back in 1849. This centuries old farmstead is a unique part of Indiana history and our school and group visits are designed to give visitors a glimpse into that past.
Two different guided visits are available, and listed below. Both trips will spend extensive time outdoors, please plan accordingly.
Hands On Workshops
- Program Dates: April 1 - June 30 and October 10-28, 2023
- Grades: Designed for 4th grade students, but can be adapted to fit all ages.
- Price: $8 per student
- Tour Length: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Time: 9:30-12:45
- Lunch: Facilities and tables are available for packed lunches.
- Group Size: Minimum of 20 students (or $80), max 120 students.
This tour takes our traditional farm tour and adds in a variety of hand's on learning activities that you get to choose!
The Spring Tours Include the following options
Visit the 1900's School House: Receive a first person classroom lesson in the historic school house followed by one of the following activities:
- Historic Games and Pastimes
- Historic Toy Making
1850's Pioneer Farm: Explore the pioneer farm through one of the following activities:
- Farm Chores Challenge
- Historic Gardening & Seeds
Historic Gardening is sometimes limited due to soil condition. We will always try and accommodate your first preference, but if the soil is too wet you may be switched to the Farm Chores Challenge.
1910's Farm: Explore the iconic Buckley Homestead and 1910's Farm while enjoying one of the following:
- Feed Making & Animal Feeding
- Buckley Homestead Dairy Experience
Both of these options do involve live animals and may be altered as needed to protect the health and safety of both our animals and your students.
Fall Options To Be Announced in July
Buckley Homestead Farm Tours
- Program Dates: April 1, 2023 - October 31, 2023
- Grades: Designed with 4th grade in mind, but can be adapted to fit all ages.
- Prices: $4 per student
- Tour Length: 2 hours
- Arrival Times: 9:30 or 12:30
- Lunch? Facilities and tables are available for packed lunches
- Minimum Group Size: 20 students (or $80)
This tour, which focuses on Indiana History and includes a full tour of Buckley Homestead's historic facilities does take place outside and inside of unheated buildings. Students will be required to walk (approximately 1 mile in total) from area to area with their group. Please have students dress appropriately for the weather.
If additional accommodations are needed, please let us know at booking.
This program meets Indiana Academic Standard 4.1.12, describing the transformation of Indiana through developments in agriculture, industry, and transportation.